Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kibera Week 2































So much has happened since by last post. The whole second week we did a sports camp for the kids at Langata High School. Lots of soccer, along with some volleyball, netball, basketball and frisbee. All of that was good, but the last day in Kibera was the most awesome, yet it was accompanied with hardest good-byes I think I’ve ever said. All day everyone just knew that the time would come to say good-bye, which was lame. That morning we were at Langata with Class 8. Around 12 we went back to Kibera. I walked back with the kids which took about 30 minutes. As I walked back and looked around at the building, the land, the kids faces and Kibera, it was all becoming real to me that it was all happening for the last time… for a long while at least. When we got back to Kibera, we had a three hour talent show that was the bomb.com. Kids from all different classes performed and it was precious. There was singing, dancing, poems, skits, and more dancing. Those kids could get down! During the talent show I had picked up a little girl, and within two minutes she was out; drooling and all. It was cool to get to hold her and she slept and just kind of sit back and take everything in. Afterwards, we started the good-byes. I got to give away some of my shirts, shorts, tights, water bottle, and shoes to some of the kids that I really connected with and got close to. Some of them walked us out to the bus to say the final good-byes. I would be lying if I said I didn’t cry, because I did. But my heart was so sad to leave the kids I couldn’t help it; especially when they were crying. It was hard to be so sad to leave them, but to see them cry and their hurt was even harder. I got to pray over a few of them which was extremely hard, but awesome. A few of the kids I really bonded with gave me letters. And Kelvin, in Class 8, gave me his bracelet that he’d been wearing the whole time I was there. It was all super sad, but I do thank God that he gave me the opportunity to go there and meet his wonderful children. As I read their letters today on the plane to Zambia, each kids just encouraged me in Christ with words and scriptures and thanked me for coming and spending time with them. These kids were anywhere from 13 yrs-15 yrs and their faith is already so mature and strong. I pray that I would have faith like they do. I’ve learned over the course of my time in Kibera that too often, we in America trade our comfort and things for a true and refreshing joy in Christ. These kids have nothing else besides Christ. They don’t have things to keep them from seeing God in every single situation. That’s what I want.

1 comment:

  1. you are wise beyond your years, sweet Kayla. You have learned what many adults have missed. Can't wait to hear as many stories as you want to share!

    ReplyDelete