Monday, June 7, 2010

I'm Here!!

I'm winding down my first full day in Kenya! The flights all went awesome and pretty much no jet lag. The van we took from the airport to the house sat about 14 and we packed in 26 people WITH all the luggage, I was buried up to my ears with bags. It was ridiculously painful but awesome! I only thought I had lost my debit card once! You'll appreciate that mom :) Everything else is safely secured. This morning we got up and ate breakfast made by our cook, Moses and the lady who runs our house, Phillis. We headed out to the slum and met the kids at the school and took a tour of Kibera. I took some pictures, but nothing compares to walking though the small, narrow and muddy walk ways of the slum. We also took a tour of the school were the high school students are going. I went into one classroom where there was no teacher and 30 Junior guys and I got asked for my e-mail address and facebook account- which they have and I found that to be interesting. Now were back at the house and about to head out to dinner. The smells here are so distinct and awesome, even the back smells! I love it so much, everything about it. And the people are so happy. Where were were walking around Kibera, all the people were outside their houses and watching us. All the children would just yell over and over, "HOW ARE YOU? HOW ARE YOU?" And they could answer "I'm Fine" if we asked them how they were doing. I learned to say how are you and i'm fine in swahili. I also learned "what's your name?" but I've already forgotten. I love y'all and can't wait to tell you everything else that happens!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome we are so proud of you and praying for you. May God grant you the desires of your heart as you serve Him. To Christ be Glory.

    ReplyDelete