Thursday, July 5, 2012

What's up Ecuador!

 
SO.... we're here in Quito, Ecuador! We traveled for a total of 15 hours today and still have one more day of traveling until we reach our final destination of Canoa, Ecuador! We had to be at the airport at 3am this morning and have had scattered sleep thoughout the day. So ready to crash out in our hotel room with a huge glass that overlooks the city and mountains.








I continue to find that I love being in a place that is unfamiliar to me. The culture, language, dress, geography. I take it as a challenge to try to learn and figure out why these people do the things they do. From the time we got in our taxi from the airpot until now I have throughly enjoyed every moment. Coming to Ecuador is different than any other trip I've taken to another country... I actually have a base knowledge of the langauage.




While it's been 3 years since I've been forced to use it, I love being put in a situation where I have to use all of my resources to get my point across in a form that they can understand. Tonight when I tried to ask for just an empty cup to pour my bottled water in at a fast food resturant, it proved to be comical. I tried, "Yo tengo aqua, pero quiero.... cup." It just wasn't working until I finally saw a cup and got to point to it and say "just that." Which the finally understood. When I sat back down at the table, my mom informed me, "This is what you call language emersion!"


But I love the challenge and am more motivated than ever to learn Spanish and be able to fully communicate with the peope here. I am so thankful for the opportunity to come here and learn how to love on these poeple and appreciate thier culture. We were told that Canoa is about 50 years behind America in technology. I couldn't think of a better place that I would want to go!!


I started reading Kisses from Katie on the plane today. It's about am 18 year old girl who moved to Uganda by herself to live there and share Christ's love with them. Through reading her story, I am challenged to put all selfish ambition aside just as Ephesians 2:3-4 says, and pour out everything that Christ has given me to these poeple around me. Can't wait to see what the Lord does over this next month!
And I love you too sister!!

No comments:

Post a Comment